Forums
40-1 :: Forums :: Public Forums :: 40-1 Film Productions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Mechanized Brigade 18 - MekB18
Moderators: [40-1]MORD, [40-1]Darkzorg, [40-1]eldrich, [40-1] BlaBla, [40-1] SturmTurm, [40-1] REDD Clan Captain, [40-1 ]Chippy, [40-1]Freedy
Author Post
[40-1] ghostshades
Tue Oct 10 2017, 01:13AM

Registered Member #2269

[Property and copyrights of the Swedish Army...]

***EDIT: IF YOU AFTER A BIT ONLY SEE TEXTS FOR PICS, BUT NO PICS - JUST REFRESH PAGE WITH F5***

It is now 25 years since i did my military service, and i can now show some of the pictures i took while i was there, and I have the military HQ's approval. I shot them in black and white as that was the only film i had free access to. I only had the negatives, so i used a negative scanner to make them digital. My camera was an old Nikkormat 35mm SLR, with scratched lenses so the quality is not the best as you can see.

I served 10 months as SL on a recon platoon on Swedens largest island Gotland, which holds an important military strategic location in the baltic sea halfway between Sweden and balticum / russia. It was 1993-94 and the war in old yugoslavia was raging since 2 years so the whole thing had an air of seriousness to it, we were on full alert a lot as russia was very active with reconnaisance towards all neighbours. Many were recruited to the UN from our ranks, luckily my application wasn't accepted. Many who returned were changed forever, humbled by their experiences in the balkan wars.

I was CO for a small squad of three, two snipers and a platoon medic and was company signalist apart from sniper team leader. I volunteered for the company photographers job as i had worked as a newsphotographer the year before i got drafted. It allowed me to move freely sometimes and gave good extra money as i got paid some from the military and also sold copies to my brothers in arms. Needless to say there were many guys who came and wanted to take photos of them or their squad. Usually them and their rifle !

I retain the rank of Sergeant until i turn 48, and the way it looks now odds are increasing i might actually get drafted again, although i hope not.

Sorry for the poor quality.

Earning our berets and the rank of corpral after 3 months service during a 4-day nightmare called "The Eagle March"

Shortly after this, one guy broke down. Lucky me got assigned to give chock treatment so i got to go light a fire in a tent stove and calm him as the excercise was halted for the night.

After an intense 4 days with very little sleep and food and intense firefights, operation
"eagle march" is over. Colonel Karlis Neretnieks holds a speech, then we got our hard
earned berets. The soldiers in our squads came the day after as they only did 7 months
service

Our transportation, the lightly armed/armored 11-11 or AT 11-10 "puppy"

"puppy" 11-10 AT-crew deploying to siege mode

The 11-10's 90mm main weapon firing during exercise. These guys would stop and shoot within 15 seconds from driving.

Squad 2, call name bertil-petter

Time for chow. We were always hungry!

My CO, second lieutenant Roxner. Not happy about me taking photos just before a raid on a radar position on the closed island Furillen

Going into a contaminated area during the winter. But first they made us run 10 km in this equipment. Several guys puked in
their masks but no one broke.

Guard position Echo: "Who goes there??"

With the berets came the sexy haircuts. Corpral Hjukstrom, defender of his home island
in action on a soldier

Cheer up son, you were touched by an artist ffs...!

Me holding my primary service weapon, AK-5 5.56mm manufactured by Bofors Arms

Here with secondary service weapon, PSG-90 with under calibrated 7,62mm HV-rounds
(vo 1200m/s)

A very cold day in sniper school...

One of the soldiers in my squad, private Cederlöf during sniper school. Great marksman and soldier, no whine there

Petty officer Osslund, small but deadly!

The final excercise was on the mainland south part of Sweden in Revingehed. All armored / mechanized brigades were there, around 15000 troops

Getting orders before going on patrol

Reconnaisance patrol going out early evening on foot behind enemy lines to scout enemy positions

Capture the flag and hold and defend with Prisma vests: it beeps twice if injured,
constant signal is flatline and you must lie down to make the noise stop...Medic!!

Some well deserved R&R after two weeks in the field. Did anyone say "Moonshine"?? Yup, drunk as a skunk!

Digging a good latrine requires thorough testing by he who duggit'

Back from the finals with the princess of the day and half the kingdom at least!

And finally, the formerly top secret Project Babyshades, in the making and due some time in april, if all goes well

That's all i had to show you from the past and the future, i hope you enjoyed it!

[ Edited Tue Oct 10 2017, 08:39PM ]
[40-1]MuNkEr
Tue Oct 10 2017, 06:13AM
Registered Member #2934

Fantastic post, Shades and congrats on Project Babyshades!
[40-1] SturmTurm
Tue Oct 10 2017, 08:16AM
Registered Member #1990

Very nice post indeed Ghost - Congratz on the new add on to the family. Not much of urban warfare on those service photos Btw Lt. Roxner looks baddass o7
[40-1]eldrich
Tue Oct 10 2017, 10:14AM
Registered Member #499

Great post Shades and Gratz m8
[40-1] ghostshades
Tue Oct 10 2017, 10:31AM

Registered Member #2269

Thanks! I thought it would be a shame to work so hard, completely unseen by the present and living

[40-1 wrote ...
SturmTurm]
Very nice post indeed Ghost - Congratz on the new add on to the family. Not much of urban warfare on those service photos Btw Lt. Roxner looks baddass o7

Cheers mate, yeah he was. One of the best CO's, same age as us as we were all drafted. He was actually a dance teacher back home, like cha-cha-cha and charleston and such. There was another guy everybody hated cuz he had a stick up his ass and he always had his little piggy eyes on me for some reason. But ok his dad was a army colonel back home so maybe his home situation was kinda strict. Attention at the dinner table and much belt and repressed anger in a boy...

[ Edited Tue Oct 10 2017, 10:33AM ]
[40-1] REDD Clan Captain
Tue Oct 10 2017, 07:26PM
Registered Member #911

Great post.Congrats and good luck with the baby.April thats when the fun starts.Did i say fun.
[40-1] ghostshades
Tue Oct 10 2017, 08:41PM

Registered Member #2269

[40-1 wrote ...
REDD Clan Captain]
Great post.Congrats and good luck with the baby.April thats when the fun starts.Did i say fun.

Hehe cheers REDD! If whatever comes out is anything like daddy i might get busy
avaks
Wed Oct 11 2017, 10:51AM
Registered Member #2359
[40-1 wrote ...
ghostshades]

I served 10 months as SL on a recon platoon on Swedens largest island Gotland, which holds an important military strategic location in the baltic sea halfway between Sweden and balticum / russia. It was 1993-94 and the war in old yugoslavia was raging since 2 years so the whole thing had an air of seriousness to it, we were on full alert a lot as russia was very active with reconnaisance towards all neighbours. Many were recruited to the UN from our ranks, luckily my application wasn't accepted. Many who returned were changed forever, humbled by their experiences in the balkan wars.

I have spent 4 years in that hell mate, you haven't missed a thing. I am glad that your application was not accepted. And I quote:"War, War never changes..."

Btw nice pictures, and congrats on your project Babyshades :D
[40-1] ghostshades
Wed Oct 11 2017, 05:45PM

Registered Member #2269

avaks wrote ...

[40-1 wrote ...
ghostshades]

I have spent 4 years in that hell mate, you haven't missed a thing. I am glad that your application was not accepted. And I quote:"War, War never changes..."

Btw nice pictures, and congrats on your project Babyshades :D

Thanks Avaks, yeah i've seen my fair share of real up close backstreet violence, some things from 30 years back i still remember a little too crisp. I try to imagine that on much grander and much more evil scale. So no, i'd totally rather not. Especially now when im gonna be the almighty megadaddy

Damn, four years there must have taken you to hell and back....what did you do if i may ask?
[40-1]Status_Quo
Thu Oct 12 2017, 08:04AM

Registered Member #3001

Cool pics Ghost! Thanks for sharing.

And ofcourse they're gong to draft us again, whatelse can they do, send our male youth forward so they can beat the enemy with their manpurse? :P
avaks
Thu Oct 12 2017, 11:00AM
Registered Member #2359
[40-1 wrote ...
ghostshades]

Thanks Avaks, yeah i've seen my fair share of real up close backstreet violence, some things from 30 years back i still remember a little too crisp. I try to imagine that on much grander and much more evil scale. So no, i'd totally rather not. Especially now when im gonna be the almighty megadaddy

Damn, four years there must have taken you to hell and back....what did you do if i may ask?

It is still hell mate but at least it does not shoot now.
I wasn't in army, I am glad, was civilian at that time, but we all felt the terror. Especially mid Bosnia, Sarajevo and I was 50 kilometers away. 1993 was Hell, no electricity, food reserves were at the end and the winter was terrible in the cities. I had luck to be on the village and we had no problems with cold and had plenty of fresh water...
As you said, It left many people psychic scars and problems on the larger scale. We all have some sort of PTSD ...

[40-1]MORD
Thu Oct 12 2017, 11:29AM

Registered Member #1

Fantastic pictures Ghost! Thanks for sharing with us And good luck with changing nappies soon
[T40-1]CantTouchThis
Thu Oct 12 2017, 07:48PM
Registered Member #3045

Great pictures. Good luck with project Babyshades.
[40-1] ghostshades
Fri Oct 13 2017, 12:10AM

Registered Member #2269

[40-1 wrote ...
Status_Quo]
Cool pics Ghost! Thanks for sharing.

And ofcourse they're gong to draft us again, whatelse can they do, send our male youth forward so they can beat the enemy with their manpurse? :P

Hehe yeah those poor hipsters....well i guess we're gonna have to defend them while they search for their identities in their beards for a bit more

[40-1 wrote ...
MORD]
Fantastic pictures Ghost! Thanks for sharing with us And good luck with changing nappies soon

Thanks mate, they´re of variying quality to say the least but i suppose they have the right "war documentary" feel...it was quarter of a century ago, feels more like another life to me!

[T40-1 wrote ...
CantTouchThis]
Great pictures. Good luck with project Babyshades.

Thanks hammertime!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF